Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Gift

I have a ton of Christmas movies that I haven't watched in years.  Each year Christmas comes so quickly, I generally only watch the ones that are "must-sees" to make the holiday, i.e. Christmas Vacation, Elf, Charlie Brown Christmas, and of course, my Christmas Eve Tradition-the Muppet Christmas Carol.

Today was a leisurely day for the family, and as everyone else was preoccupied doing what they do, I set out to watch my movies as I got some things done.  The lineup included some titles such as the Pink Panther Christmas, Nestor the Long Eared Donkey, the Grinch who Stole Christmas, A Fruitcake Christmas, Kung Fu Panda Christmas, The Nativity, and this one here, as I sat doodling.  Fancy a guess?

Ok, so this one is a yearly one for me-The Year Without a Santa Claus. I love the Miser Brothers...cracks me up.

It is true that Jesus wasn't born in December and that Christmas has pagan origins.  Even so, our family celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas.  And, as Christian traditions has it, the Nativity story is in many of the Christmas movies I watched.

I love the storytelling, but I often think about how I would tell the story if I were to make the movie...

For starters, I would modify how the Angels are depicted. When Angels appeared in the Bible,  they were normally depicted as male warriors that would drop the most strong and devout men to their knees in fear!  So, instead of a glowing dude in a bedsheet, I would have a warrior in glistening armor of supernatural proportions. Gabriel tells both Zechariah and Mary to not be afraid.  I think they would be more fearful of a warrior than a docile dude in a bedsheet, don't you?

Mary always seems to be depicted as a little too solemn, too unemotional for my taste. I would probably have her be a bit more realistic in her emotional portrayal.  After all, she was a young girl, dealing with a very extraordinary situation in difficult times. How many young girls, let alone women, do you know that convey no emotions?

I would also make the Magi have an entourage.  Unlike common interpretation, there is no mention of 3 wise men, just 3 gifts.  The Magi were Persian elite and would have traveled with a large contingent to likely include a company of guards and servants.

Given that Herod inquired about the timing of the star, and his decision to have all boys 2 and under killed, I am inclined to believe that the Magi visit would come later when the Lord was a toddler.  I can accept the fact that God led them to the Lord by the same star supernaturally. Or, maybe they did make the journey in anticipation of the star. I'm really not sure...  In any case, I would modify the scene to not have the crowd of shepherds, magi, etc standing there staring at the Lord all at the same time. And I would have the Magi leave their entourage on the outskirts of town as they ventured in via the guidance of the star in the darkness, because if they had all come through I am pretty sure the whole town would have woken up and came out to see what was going on.

I'm sure I would make some other artistic changes, but those are the main ones.  Not that it makes a difference.  I don't plan on making a movie anytime soon.  I prefer doodling.  My doodle on-and-off tonight is below.  The TRUE gift of Christmas.  God bless you, and Merry Christmas!

"For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon[d] his shoulder,
    and his name shall be called[e]
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Is 9:6, ESV




No comments:

Post a Comment