Saturday, November 22, 2014

Prig Pig

Day 61: "Beware of allowing yourself to think that the shallow concerns of life are not ordained of God; they are as much of God as the profound. It is not your devotion to God that makes you refuse to be shallow, but your wish to impress other people with the fact that you are not shallow, which is a sure sign that you are a spiritual prig. [Chambers]"  

As I read these words in My Utmost for His Highest today, all I could think of was a ridiculous vision of a cleaned up, "spiritual prig" pig.  He is out of the mud, cleaned up. He is in his suit, leather-bound Bible in hand. He is ready to tackle the big things, the tough things that come at him in life. It's a kind of an interesting depiction.  Every day we run around like we are on autopilot through our mud. We get up, go to work, come home, make dinner, clean up, take care of the family, go to bed, repeat. It can feel like we're stuck in the mud shallows. When something shakes things and jerked from our routine drudgery, we crawl out of the shallows, put on our spiritual garb and get on our knees before the Lord, seeking Him for help and guidance on how to deal with the bigger, deeper things.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't mean to disparage our poor pig friend.  In fact, I'm sure we have a lot in common.  How hard it can be to look past the drudgery of our repetition and truly look for  the awe and wonder of God in everything.  Its easy to say, but as I know all too well, hard to do.  Maybe if I remember my cleaned up pig and how ridiculous he looks in his suit, maybe I will be more apprised of the Glory in the mud.

Please, God, bless!

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God." 1 Co 10:31 ISV

Chambers, O. (1986). My utmost for his highest: Selections for the year. Grand Rapids, MI: Oswald Chambers Publications; Marshall Pickering.

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment