Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Graceful Garland

Day 350:  I was having a conversation with my boy yesterday about video games.  He's at the age where games are either slightly too young, or slightly to mature for him.  We were talking about some of the first person shooter games, and their if they were appropriate for him to play. (I have to confess, that I personally like first person shooter games.)  My concern for the boy is the realism and extreme violence of some of these games.  He has played a few at friends' homes, and was telling my why certain games were ok, and why he refused to play others...basically schooling me on what is appropriate or not.  In talking about a specific game, he tells me "Yeah, you shoot people, but its not like Mortal Kombat or other games that are extremely violent and show everything.  And, there is no sexual content or anything like that."  Well....I'm glad he knows what he shouldn't be playing.

It is so important to impress on my boy--or any kid--the value of wisdom. I can't keep him in a bubble, but I can try to teach him well, pray an awful lot, and hope he makes wise choices. Games that sensationalize extremely graphic violence and are slathered with sexual content cheapen life and intimacy--and even though its a game, the realism of them is startling. He was correct in his assessment of this particular game, and I was surprised (yet secretly glad) at his discernment.

I happen to like the game he was talking about, and I think you can tell its a game.  It is far more realistic than my pac man days, but it is not nearly as gory as some scenes in movies geared for his age group. I know some would disagree with me, but I think boys are born with a sense of warring, after all, they are the heroes, the protectors the soldiers of destiny. Making sure they can be honorable heroes--now that is the challenge.

Teach and model...continually.

Please, God, bless!

"Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck." Prov 1:8-9 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment