Monday, November 3, 2014

Dying to One's Will to Die

Day 42:  As I was reading Anne Graham Lotz's daily e-devotion, I thought of the young woman who chose to end her life this weekend due to her diagnosis of and expected future suffering resulting from incurable brain cancer.

I suppose we can all for a moment understand-no one chooses to undergo such suffering. Its seems almost wise to make such a decision, to prevent oneself from such devastation and pain. But is that selfish?  Is it really a noble choice?

Inspired by Matthew 16:24 Anne writes:

"The power in your life and mine that results in blessing is in 
direct proportion to the extent that you are willing to die to . . .
your own will,
your own goals,
your own dreams,
your own rights."

If one is to truly surrender, wouldn't that also include dying to one's own will to die, precluding allotted suffering?  

I think of my Lord Jesus. He was also prescribed pain and suffering to an extent unparalleled or repeated as he took on not just the physical pain, but the blackness, the burden, the desperation of all the sins of the world. He could have chosen, I suppose, to end it early. But that wasn't the Father's will. His pain and suffering were allotted to Him. He died at his appointed time. As a result, God's glory abounds with His resurrection.

I mean no disrespect to this young woman or her family.  I can't fathom what I would be thinking in a similar circumstance.  But I do know this-Our time is assigned by the Creator. Life is precious, and I have to believe regardless of suffering-no matter how heinous, tragic, hurtful, or appalling, it is known by God and has some purpose.  This should resonate in a society consumed by the heroes journey. A hero is born by through his suffering, not by avoiding it.  I think trying to preempt our time denies the flower its full bloom.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Matthew 16:24 NIV


Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment