Sunday, June 28, 2015

Amazing Grace

Day 278:  The old hymn, "Amazing Grace", has gotten a lot of publicity since the President sang it in Charleston. TIME wrote an article about it, calling it the "go-to hymn at American funerals, because of its striking melodies and ever-popular narrative of personal redemption." 

I find it interesting in all the "chills", "goosebumps", "heartwarming" and "moving" characterizations of this rendition of the hymn, that no where in all of the press, discussions, or articles do I find Jesus Christ.  In fact, I don't even find the word Christian.  TIME goes only as far to say, "...he found his faith", as though it was lost in a parking lot somewhere.

John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace", was once an athiest, a servant to slave traders, and eventually captained his own slave ship.  In 1748 a violent storm came upon his ship, and out of desperation he exclaimed, "Lord, have mercy upon us!"  He would later say that it was at that moment God addressed him through the storm.  He became a minister and songwriter, and served his church many years.  He wrote Amazing Grace, because he was overwhelmed with his wretched sinful state, and in awe of the truly Amazing Gift of Grace that God had bestowed upon those who believe--His son, Jesus Christ.

I've included the epitaph on his gravestone, written by Mr. Newton himself, as well as the full lyrics as written in the original hymn.  So, when we revel in the emotional sway of Amazing Grace, and we sing of such a wonderful gift of grace, be sure to recognize the intent behind the song.  When you sing these words as its writer intended, you are acknowledging and thanking the One True God, the God who created all things, for the gift of Grace, evidenced by and through His Son, Jesus Christ, the Risen Lord.

JOHN NEWTON, Clerk [preacher]
Once an infidel and libertine
A servant of slaves in Africa, 
Was, by the rich mercy 
of our Lord and Saviour 
JESUS CHRIST, 
restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach
the Gospel which he had long laboured to destroy.  
He ministered, 
Near sixteen years in Olney, In Bucks, 
And twenty eight years in this Church.


AMAZING GRACE
Amazing Grace!  (how sweet the sound)
That sav'd a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found, 
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, 
And grace my fears reliev'd; 
How precious did that grace appear, 
The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snares, 
I have already come; 
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far, 
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis'd good to me, 
His word my hope secures; 
He will my shield and portion be, 
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail, 
And mortal life shall cease; 
I shall possess, within the veil, 
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, 
The sun forbear to shine; 
But God, who call'd me here below, 
will be forever mine.

Please, God, bless!

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of his great love for us even when we were dead because of our offenses, made us alive together with the Messiah (by grace you have been saved), raised us up with him, and seated us with him in the heavenly realm in the Messiah Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might display the limitless riches of his grace that comes to us through his kindness in the Messiah Jesus.  For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God and not the result of actions, to put a stop to all boasting." Eph 2:4-9 ISV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment