Thursday, June 11, 2015

Doing our Duty

Day 261:  How often as a mom have I heard..."Ahem....I took the trash out," or "I cleaned the kitchen."  I find it interesting how doing what one is supposed to do comes with an expectation of overwhelming gratitude!

Once when my boy announced completion of his chores, as though it was a huge favor, I made a similar announcement, "Ahem...I cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed the floors, picked up, put the dishes away, scrubbed the counter, ironed the clothes, did the bills, and scheduled the appointments."

I don't recall a gushing thank you, or, wow, that was really nice of you to do so much.  It's expected, because as part of our household, I contribute to keeping things orderly.

Don't get me wrong, being grateful when people do something well or with good intent is extremely important.  Still, I find that more and more people expect great rejoicing and praise when they do what they are paid to or supposed to do.  I envision a video of a kid walking into class and saying to the teacher, "I just want you to know...I did my homework." Cute if your in 1st grade, obnoxious if your a Junior in High School.  "Boss, I answered the phones all day." "Lady, I bagged your groceries."  "Customer, I took your order for you."

Now, imagine how absurd we look in the heavenlies when we announce the great accomplishment of doing what God says?  "Jesus, I was nice to the cashier today."  "Pastor, I put an offering in the basket today."  "Lord, I forgave my co-worker today."  "Yeah, I made time for my devotion and prayer today."
   
It seems more frequent these days that what should be a sense of duty, love, and respect morphs into an act of charitable service that demands appreciation.

Please, God, bless!

“Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’” Luke 17:7-10 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment