Thursday, July 9, 2015

Portobello Tacos

Day 289:  I had an interesting lunch today.  A gal pal and I took off to enjoy an afternoon meal together.  The waiter came over and told us about the daily specials.  Grouper, blah.....crab cakes, too much food...portobello mushroom tacos....hmmm, I can get with that! Not too light, not too heavy, just right!

As my lunch was served, I noted to my friend that these were some strange looking mushrooms.  As I ate it I noted it didn't really taste like a mushroom.  I was trying to describe what it tasted like, something familiar, and when I was about 2/3 of the way through it dawned on me...the waiter said pork belly not portobello! No wonder I tasted bacon! Egads!  It was good, so I'm not complaining, but it was a lot heavier meal than I was expecting for lunch. Note to self, always double check the recited specials when in a loud restaurant.

My portobello taco incident reminded me of how careful we need to be about what we hear, and I thought it a lesson especially relevant in regard to God's Word. Rom 10:17 says:

"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

If we want our faith to be sound, we need to ensure that what we think we heard was really what was said.  I tell my son, the Word ALWAYS agrees with the Word. Those who say otherwise are just skimming the surface...kind of like looking at a calm peaceful water and thinking it is safe to swim in. Meanwhile alligators lurk beneath the surface! When we find an apparent contradiction, that means we should dig deeper, and see what lies beneath the surface.  We will find that what we thought was a contradiction was a treasure of Truth.

Be wary of attempts to rationalize away minor details that don't seem to fit with the Word.  After all, it only takes 1 degree to set a boat off course.  A false faith can still be a really strong faith. But if what we heard is false, then we are living a lie and we don't even know it! Don't accept a fit for 9 out of 10 verses. If you do, you may be setting yourself off-course!

Be a Berean...always, always, always seek the Truth.

Please, God, bless!

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment