Saturday, July 11, 2015

Weeds, Weeds, Weeds

Day 291: Weeds. We have had so much rain, that when the sun finally came out they were invading my flower bed in the front yard. I spent a while pulling the pesky foliage out and my plants once again had some room to breathe, to grow, and not be crowded or choked.  As for me, I ended up with a slight rash as I tend to be allergic to weeds. Fortunately, a long shower, a little lotion, and its clearing up pretty quick.

My weed experience today reminded me of the parable of the sower and the seed, when the seed was sown in the thorns (more weeds), they were choked.  Or the vineyard that was overgrown by the thistles in Proverbs.  Or the wheat and the tares in Matthew, when the weeds grew alongside the wheat, and were thrown into the fire.

What are the weeds that try to choke our faith? I know for me busyness comes to mind. Or little, daily annoyances.

When does our vineyard begin overgrowing with weeds?  Days when I'm too busy for prayer or devotion comes to mind, when I don't prioritize my time with the Lord.

How do we view the weeds of the world around as?  Do we mistake them for fruit-bearing plants, Do we tangle ourselves in them and thus feel the heat?  Gossip, lying, sin.....getting too cozy with the world, with our things, with our comfort.

My takeaway is this.  Take time to clear the weeds.  Take time to care for my spiritual garden, that I may bear fruit. And only God can remove the weeds of the world that quickly multiply and crowd me. Stand firm in my faith, knowing I will be saved from the fire.

Lastly, sometimes I have to pull the weeds.  It may not be pleasant, and it may even be painful, but it must be done.

Please, God, bless!

"For wickedness burns like a fire; It consumes briars and thorns; It even sets the thickets of the forest aflame And they roll upward in a column of smoke. By the fury of the LORD of hosts the land is burned up, And the people are like fuel for the fire; No man spares his brother." Isaiah 9:18-19

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment