Friday, July 31, 2015

Praying Mantis

Day 311:  Today my boy and I decided to sit out on the front porch and enjoy the nice weather.  The air was warm and a bit still, so I turned on the fan and sat down with my electronic book and a cup of tea.  As we were chatting, all of the sudden from overhead a long leaf lands in my lap!  I was shocked, but even more shocked when it started to move!  I spilt my tea, started bleating, and jumped up as fast as I could without provoking the moving leaf and spilling more tea in my lap.

It was a praying mantis.

Now, I love praying mantis'.  They are cool insects, can swivel their heads 180 degrees and can see about 20 yards.  They also are pretty cool predators, slight in size, but can blast some large insects, and have been know to take out a frog, lizard, or small birds. Needless to say, we let Rambo have his space on the loveseat as we just kind of watched him.  He would turn his head side to side, looking at each of us as if to assess if he should teach us a lesson. We watched him in his praying stance.  Isn't it interesting, that this insect appears to be so devout, but he is really a viscious predator?

How many times has someone used the cover of devout piety to mask their evil intent?  Jesus warns us about false teachers, and not to be fooled by their feigned humility and devotion.  So, how do you know if someone is genuine?  For me, its the love, the conviction, and Godly discernment.  I'm a pretty horrid sinner, and though very strong in my devotion to God, I am certainly not the poster child for piety.  But I know I am heartfelt in my love for Jesus.  I fall short, but the Lord continues to coax me along to reach farther.  I certainly hope that my genuine faith comes through my many, many shortcomings.

We eventually encouraged Rambo off the porch...his predatorial gaze was making us nervous...

Please, God, bless!

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.Thus you will recognize them by their fruits." MAtt 7:15-20 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment