Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Lemons and Soap

Day 141:  This morning as I was working out I watched a TVshow that focuses on changing peoples behavior.  I find this show fascinating as they try different things to provide incentive to people to do something they normally don't do. Today they were trying to get more people to wash their hands after using the restroom. I was amazed by a simple solution--they had a smellivator that blew the scent of lemons into the bathroom.  It seems that lemons remind us of cleaning products, and therefore reminds us to be clean.  The numbers jumped from 66% to over 82% of people washing their hands when they smelled lemons!

The point of these episodes is that people need to be incentivized to change their behavior. But I often wonder, how long will the fix action actually work?  How long until people tire of the impetus for their change and revert back to their ways?  

God incentivizes us to believe in and follow Him with His many, many promises.  Yet it is so easy for people to be casual, flippant, complacent, and sometimes outright defiant about changing our behavior to do what He is asking of us. How is this so?

Think about it....people can be shamed into not double-dipping, rewarded for not speeding, scared into eating better, and entertained into taking the stairs.  Because unless the heart changes the behavioral change will only be temporary.

Please, God, bless!

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24 ESV 

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment