Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Lessons from a Snow Shovel

Day 148:  My husband told me before he left the house this a.m. to ensure our son shoveled the driveway.  I told my boy when he came downstairs and he dutifully got dressed and started to shovel. After a while I figured I would go out and do the sidewalks while he continued on the driveway. I suppose that provided an audience for the drama that ensued.  Worthy of an Oscar, the boy suddenly was "freezing", his toes so cold he could barely walk.  His shoes were too slippery, and he even "fell" to rise with a stiffened leg. I finally told him we could finish the job, or be out all day, the choice was his, but neither of us were going in until the shoveling was done.  Of course, there was more shoveling to be had, as I felt he needed to do more of it as a result of the theatrics. I also felt compelled to not let him get away with a half-baked job of it, and provided course correction.  At the end of it all I thought he did a pretty decent job and maybe, just maybe, learned a bit more about responsibility.

Imagine my surprise, as I sat in the back room sipping tea and pondering what to doodle, when I heard my boy telling his pals about his "horrid" day, how he had to shovel "4 hours" in the freezing cold, and be insulted the whole time, as I complained continually about his shoveling-and then I forced him to go sledding--the horror!

SHOCKED!

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.  He is at that age where kids can be horrid.  Still..it seems that clearly, someone needs to do some more snow shoveling!  Except that we already done, and there is no more snow in the forecast.  Thank goodness there is an abundance of cleaning and things that need to be done every day in this house so I can help this boy grow into a young man who has some semblance of a work ethic, and the ability to accept that doing a job poorly is worse than not doing it at all.  Its a heart matter, and through prayer and Lord willing God's divine understanding, both of our hearts will grow in Godly ways.

Please, God, bless!

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men." Colossians 3:23 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment