Friday, April 24, 2015

Partiality?

Day 214:  I read an interesting article the other day, "Speaking While Female".  It talked about how men and women are perceived and treated differently in meetings or discussions.  I found it interesting, of course, and I thought maybe there is some truth to it, but I would hope that it is not the norm.

Well, today I had a discussion where I felt like I was living that article.  Every time I said something, I received a negative response.  Using a silly example, I will try to replicate the tone of the conversation.
Me: I think we need more paper plates, this way....
Guy 1: No, we can't include anything else on the table.
Me: I understand about it looking overly crowded, however ....
Guy 1: We can't keep putting things on the table, we need to keep it simple.
Guy 2: Maybe we do need to include more plates. We do have a lot of people attending.
Guy 1: Hmmm, well I think we can make that adjustment.
Guy 3: Maybe we need to use bowls instead.
Me: Well, the last time we used bowls we had several complaints. The different dishes all start to combine, and...
Guy 1: Well, now your just getting in the weeds. This should be a simple thing.
Guy 3: Maybe we should scrap the bowls, mixing tuna casserole and pineapple bake is gross.
Guy 1: Good point.
Me:  *smh*
I think I will start conducting a little experiment and pay closer attention to these dynamics. I might even start keeping tallies.  Is this really the norm?  I hope not.

Please, God, bless!

"But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors." James 2:9 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment