Saturday, December 27, 2014

A Piece of Candy

Day 96: We have so much candy from the holidays, I'm tempted to put it out on the counter because I know the boys will devour it quickly. There is no battle of will, because, frankly, there is no desire to abstain. For me, however, it is--especially if its a Reeses!  Being a bit more conscientious than my boys about what I eat, it may seem that I am not thinking of the oh-so-tasty chocolate peanut butter delights as I go about my business. But that would be a false perception, because I am definitely, overtly and painfully cognizant of the confection--its just that I've battled with my will and won (for the moment).

The devotional I picked up this am, My Utmost for His Highest, discusses a similar type of scenario when it comes to our spiritual struggles.

The battle is lost or won in the secret places of the will before God, never first in the external world. The Spirit of God apprehends me and I am obliged to get alone with God and fight the battle out before Him. Until this is done, I lose every time. The battle may take one minute or a year, that will depend on me, not on God; but it must be wrestled out alone before God, and I must resolutely go through the hell of a renunciation before Him.

Chambers, O. (1986). My utmost for his highest: Selections for the year. Grand Rapids, MI: Oswald Chambers Publications; Marshall Pickering.

I have struggles every day far more difficult than passing on a piece of candy, especially when it comes to the things of God.  While I may seem polished on the outside, inside of me it may be a spiritual war.  Being honest with God about my struggles and battling them before Him is the only way I have been-and will continue to be-able to overcome them.  

    "Circumcise yourselves to the LORD
      and remove the foreskin of your heart..." Jer 4:4a ISV 

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment