Monday, December 29, 2014

Smaug

Day 98:  We finally got to see the Hobbit today at the IMAX.  I loved it, but of course I love the books and the LoTR, so maybe I'm geeky like that.  I was left with a few outstanding questions, mostly about the "added" characters that weren't in the book.  What was Alfrid's purpose in the movie, and what was his final fate after greedily in a most self-serving manner cared only of his own welfare? And Tauriel, who was banished from her Elven clan-what happened to her after Kili died, and Thranduil tells her that her love for him was real?!?  *sigh*  I wish these characters had some follow through...

Aside from that, the characters from the actual book were solid. The opening storyline of the movie continues with Smaug, the dragon, who, after being angered by the invading dwarves attacks Laketown for aiding them in their quest. The destruction is massive! The pure evil of this beast and disregard for any life at all is chilling. And his presence on the IMAX screen, nothing short of shockingly impressive. I think Peter Jackson and his team managed to capture the essence of the awoken terror and managed the scene as Tolkien closely imagined it.

The Bible also talks about a dragon, an ancient beast, also bent on pure evil. I can only imagine the image of Smaug in this movie is a minute fraction of the horror of the real thing. Christians don't like to speak of dragons and things that sound too outrageous. However, every horror, terror, nightmare, sorrow, hatred, depravity and deception is consolidated ultimately in our enemy, Satan, the dragon. Make no mistake about that--he is a creature of unthinkable evil.

Movies like the hobbit are fun to watch, heroic tales of an extraordinary good that overcomes a hellacious evil. Praise God, that in the real story, the Dragon will be defeated, because our Lord already won the war.

Please, God, bless!

"And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him." Rev 12:9 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view

No comments:

Post a Comment