Monday, December 22, 2014

Lessons in the Mistletoe

Day 91:  I feel like I've spent the day catching up.  Sometimes vacation can be so exhausting!  As I was catching up on mail I glanced up to the foyer, and saw my faux-mistletoe my mind wandered again.  I wondered about the origins of mistletoe with Christmas, and about the God-message that could be found in yet another pagan Christmas symbol.  One common origin-story for mistletoe is associated with Norse mythology.

Frigga the goddess of love wanted to protect her son Baldr, god of the summer sun.  She asked every living creature to promise not to harm him.  But Loki, the god of fire, knew the mistletoe was missed.  He fashioned an arrow out of mistletoe, and gave it to the god of winter, Hoder, who was blind.  He shot it, and it struck Baldr and killed him.  Frigga, devestated, For 3 days, all earth elements tried to bring him back to life, finally being restored by Frigga.  Her tears are said to be the mistletoe berries. Frigga kissed anyone who passed under the berries out of joy for her sons restoral.

There are other stories, of course.  But I am always astounded at some of the Godly truths that underlie many myths.  I find it no coincidence that Baldr was dead for 3 days.  I also find it fascinating that a cursed "tree" becomes a symbol of hope and love.  And think about Holder, who was blind and could not see the deadly impact of his actions.  Baldr is associated with the god of the summer sun, or light.  Loki, with evil and fire.  Love raised Baldr back to life.

So, I urge any of you when you hear of pagan origins of many things familiar to us that you look for the God message.  Just like I advocate for the God opportunities in Halloween celebrations,  It makes sense that God, the Creator of all things, would be at the base of the stories across the secular cultures.

Only three more sleeps until Christmas.  Please, God, bless!

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Gen 1:1 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.


No comments:

Post a Comment