Monday, October 13, 2014

Birds on a Wire

Day 21: It was a light day at the office due to the holiday.  I decided to leave early given there were only a handful of us there today in hopes I would get some things done.  But I ended up spending the next hour and a half taking care of something that should have progressed much quicker. On the way home, annoyed at my time having been wasted,  I noticed all of the birds just sitting on the wires across the road.  I wondered what they thought of the traffic that so often creeps beneath them?  Why do they sit there?  Is it a place of rest?  A stopping point in a journey?  Aren't they bored?  What about all of the things they need to do to survive?

I know patience is something I am sorely lacking.  For whatever reason, seeing these birds just sitting there gave me pause from fussing at the car going too slow in front of me.

I thought of the birds on the ark with nowhere on earth to feed, gather, and rest.  I thought of their caretaker, Noah, a man of great patience.  He spent 100 years building an ark,and then spent about a year cooped up in it, taking care of "things".  I'm sure he would have preferred to be doing something else. When the waters started to recede he sent out a bird 4 different times hoping for some sign of dry land and a place for them to rest from flying. Eventually, Noah and the birds were able to leave the ark and focus on their priority tasks.

I suppose its all part of God's plan, that we never seem to accomplish all the things we think we need to.  Maybe those inconvenient pauses-the waiting in line, cleaning up an accidental mess, appointments and the like-are meant to teach us something.  Maybe the waiting for little things is preparation for bigger things. Maybe its just to teach us to take a breath, and Trust.

Please, God, bless!

"He waited seven more days and sent the dove out again, but it did not return to him anymore." Gen 8:12

p.s.  Some have asked about the time I spend on these doodles. The answer is, not much.  That's why I took on this challenge. To force myself to do one of the things I really enjoy even when it didn't hit my day-to-day priorities.  So, I allot 15-30 minutes to doodle.  I also limit my doodles to a small sketch book--which actually makes it challenging sometimes, but it also takes less time with less real estate.  


Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment