Wednesday, October 1, 2014

YES! I Celebrate Halloween!

Day 9:  So, I'm kind of cheating today.  This quickie doodle is new, but the post is my annual soap box on Halloween.  Its long, but, hey, its my soap box speech!  Enjoy!

******************
Fall is my favorite time of year. As a redhead, I'm supposed to dress like mulch, so the colors of Fall suit me well. I love the crisp air, the smell of apples, football, and of course, Halloween. What, you ask?!?! Halloween? Its an evil demonic holiday, I'm told; its celebrating things of Satan; its dangerous; its pagan; and on, and on, and on...... Oh, but if we all dress as Bible Characters and throw a party at church it makes it okay? PUH-LEASE! Quite frankly, I think Christian's have really missed the boat when it comes to this holiday. Huh? Before anyone gets overly insulted, let me explain.

The origins of Halloween truly are pagan. The Celts believed at this time of year the dead returned to visit their homes. They would light fires and sometimes wear masks or disguises so as to not be recognized by the travelling ghosts. The Roman invasion came and as a result added their own twist, celebrating Feralia, the festival of the dead, and Pomona the goddess of the harvest. As with every other pagan holiday, we Christians supplanted them with a "Christian" event to offset the temptation to succumb to the evil festivities. That is why Christmas is in December (The Roman festival of Saturnalia), and Easter is in the Spring (the fertility festival). These fall celebrations became All Hallows Day, or All Saints Day. The evening before became holy, thus All Hallows Eve. After the reformation, the holy day was not widely celebrated, and even banned among colonists. But when the European immigrants came, they brought their customs and traditions, and Halloween became a favorite holiday, particularly among children. Why? Because of the treats, of course (which, by the way, stems from the British poor going door to door begging for food).

So, why the history lesson? I think it is important to understand that Halloween (and most other major holidays), though pagan in origin, has morphed and changed as time has marched on. I believe that just as it has before, Halloween can be changed into a powerful holiday that Christian's can enjoy and celebrate for God's glory! I'm not talking about holing up in our churches, going to shopping malls, dressing up as Moses or Jonah, or turning up our noses and turning off our lights. If there is one thing that is unique about Halloween, it is the fact that it is the only holiday that your neighbors expect you to knock on their door. To me, this is HUGE!

We are called to GO into the world, not to COME inside and ignore the world. Jesus was always walking into the midst of the world, eating with sinners and tax collectors, going where the "holy" people thought he shouldn't. Why on earth wouldn't we take this opportunity to follow his example? Get our of your house! Meet your neighbors! Form a community and claim it in His Name!

But Chrissy, you say, the commercial focus on Halloween is ghosts, goblins, and witches! So? That doesn't mean I have to focus on that too--well, unless I'm casting them out in the name of Jesus! I choose to focus on the Lord! I decorate my home with the things God gave us--pumpkins, cats, colorful leaves, and things of that nature. It looks festive, yet not icky. I encourage my son to dress up--I love the fact that kids can use their imagination to be whatever they want to be! I don't allow horror costumes because aspiring or imagining you are a witch or zombie, I feel, is not pleasing to God. But I'm certain He delights and smiles at little ones roaring like dragons in awe of a creature God could have made; saving the world as superheros by the power God gave them; pretending to be a doctor or pilot with skills from the Lord; sashaying as the beautiful princesses God made them to be; or being brave knights, showing the courage God gave them in the face of danger.

Oh Brothers and Sisters, wouldn't it be just like God to use a holiday so focused on and abused by the enemy for HIS ULTIMATE GLORY? I LOVE when God does that! Lets not miss the opportunity we have in this holiday! Let's be a light to our neighborhoods! Form relationships so people will get to know you and ask you what makes you so different! Take advantage of the fact that your neighbors are waiting for that knock on the door! Take back this holiday for the King of Kings!

If you are up to this challenge, I have a few ideas outlined below to help you in this quest!

Focus on the Lord--Pray over this Halloween, your neighborhood, the children; relate your decorating and costumes to the great things of God. Talk to your kids about why you don't like the creepy things. Let them know that God gave us this holiday to use our imaginations and to meet/say hello to our neighbors.

Take advantage of the fact that your neighbors are expecting you--Take your kids trick-or-treating yourself! Don't stand at the street and watch your kids run to the door. Walk up there with them, greet your neighbors and introduce yourself if you don't know them. Chat for a minute before you leave, and always smile!

Give out good candy--As a child, I always went to the houses I knew that had the best candy! I wasn't interested in Bible tracts or Jesus pencils, and I'm sure most kids today agree with me. Let your life and kindness send the message...not a pamphlet.

Have a Halloween party--do a festival of games on your front lawn, like a bean bag toss, or the duck pond for little ones. Have prizes--and of course GOOD CANDY. We have a Hallow-Weenie Roast each year and roast hot dogs, have some beer (for adults), soda, and hot chocolate available.  The neighborhood (and not so neighborhood) kids are regulars and look forward to it every year.  The local teens come back over and over with different friends each time...one group of kids even went and brought back their parents!

Don't snub--if a parent allowed their little one to dress up as the devil, don't start chastising them or the child. Instead tell them what a beautiful little boy God gave them, and chat with them as you would with anyone else. You can pray over them as you're talking and later on! Remember, YOU MAY BE THE ONLY BIBLE SOME PEOPLE EVER READ! Let them see God's Love in you!

Plan an event in your neighborhood--Talk to your neighbors. Maybe you can work a block party. Send flyers out encouraging people to trick-or-treat. Have a secret prize at one of the houses. Whatever you do, do it in YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD! Hmmmm...moon bounces aren't too expensive to rent......

Have Fun! Halloween was always so much fun as kid. I have great memories of dressing up  (I STILL dress up as an adult!), surprising my neighbors with my costume, and of course, the reward of treats at the end.

So, won't you join me in this quest? Lets pass a tradition of joy and community, praise and glory on this holiday. Let's claim Halloween for God's Glory. He is able--we should be willing!

God bless you this day, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Please, God, bless!

"Therefore, as you GO, disciple people in all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you. And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age.”  Matt 28:19-20  ISV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.  

No comments:

Post a Comment