Saturday, October 4, 2014

Too Much Stuff!

Day 12: So what does a Christmas tree, a pool pump, an avocado slicer and a party dress have in common?  They are all excess STUFF that I was getting rid of at the yard sale.

Yard sales are interesting.  There are those who show up early, forcing themselves in before the gates open.  There are others who think a 90% discount on something just isn't enough and try to barter from $3 to $2 for a $30 item never used.  But what is more ridiculous is how much I accumulated over the course of time!  Where did it come from?  I'm ALWAYS purging stuff, and its like it multiplies!

I suppose it really isn't that hard to figure out--impulse buys, well-meant gifts, thinking I NEED something when I don't. I was looking through a catalog I got in the mail today...glossy pictures tout things that will make your life easier, make you prettier, make you thinner, make you laugh, make your house look better, make you more comfortable and relaxed. Its easy to think you have to have it--for most things.   I have to ask...why would they sell a tote bag with a pair of cozy socks? How does that make sense?

The reality is, I don't really need all this stuff.  It is actually kind of embarrassing that after the yard sale I STILL had ~20 bags of stuff that we donated--and that doesn't include the ton of stuff we put in the free pile, and curb alert!  I obviously need to make a concerted effort to prevent the excess.

Please, God, bless!

"Whoever loves money will never have enough money. Whoever loves luxury will not be content with abundance. This also is pointless. When possessions increase, so does the number of consumers; therefore what good are they to their owners, except to look at them?"  Ec 5:10–11

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.  

No comments:

Post a Comment