Sunday, January 11, 2015

Praying for the Persecuted

Day 111:  My husband was watching "Pitbulls and Parolees" and there was a horrid story about a dog who had been adopted, and then turned up in a shelter some time later. When the rescue center picked up the dog they had adopted out some time ago, it was clear she had been abused. She hadn't been fed, she was lethargic, and her collar was so tight it had to be cut off. It was so sad, and of course there were lots of tears on the show, as well as anger with the owners.

Today at church we heard an excellent message about a prescription for spiritual passion. In one part of the message Pastor Val talked about some statistics he had seen regarding the persecution of Christians doubling from 2013 to 2014 in the world, North Korea and Nigeria leading the way.

As I was looking over my notes from the service, and pondering these facts, I wondered, why is it that we are so easily moved to anger, sadness, and tears for a dog but yet each day we read about innocent people being abused, tortured and killed for their faith and we turn our heads and easily move on to the next thing?

Please don't get me wrong. I myself and moved to tears when I see dogs abused.  I think its wrong and evil. But for the sake of comparison, an innocent child, mother, sister, brother, son, father, daughter--when these human lives are persecuted and their stories told, I see less tears, few actions, and very little outrage.

My only point in this quick little doodle is to inject a dose of reality-that people are dying every day for their faith. In the comfort of our homes, with far less risk of death for believing in Jesus, it is very easy to become complacent to the persecution of the brethren, and selective about the things we shed our tears for. Sadly, I admit my guilt in this area.

As I enter 2015, I am moved to pray more fervently for these believers, for their strength, protection, comfort, and rest. Make no mistake, evil that cannot be understood or fathomed is in the world. We ourselves may not at this time be at risk of abuse, torture, imprisonment, or death because we believe in Jesus...but there are no guarantees that will always be the case.

And when it is not, I am certain we would hope that the body of Christ are in tears as they pray for us.

Please, God, bless!

"Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body". Heb 13:3 ESV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view

No comments:

Post a Comment