Thursday, January 15, 2015

Why Grass?

Day 115:  I tend to be a details person. I suppose that's the project manager in me. I don't know about anyone else, but I think its the details that show care and attention, an addition of that something extra.

Because of this it can take me forever to read in my Bible. I'm not kidding! I happen to believe that every...single...detail... in the Bible is in there by design, for a purpose, to add something extra. I'm constantly stopping as I read and saying to myself, "Why is that there?" "Why is this phrased that way?" "What is the point of mentioning this?" You get the idea...

So, this evening I am reading and I stop here...

 "Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was plenty of grass in that area, so they sat down, numbering about 5,000 men." Jn 6:10 ISV

And in my typical fashion, I pause..., Why do we care if there was plenty of grass? What difference does it make if they sat on soil, dust, clay, rocks a road, or grass? Why not just say, "Have the people sit down....There were about 5k people?" It seems like a trivial thing, but this same detail is mentioned by not only John, but Matthew, Mark!

So, I stopped.                      

I pondered.

                                             And I began to study grass.

The Hebrew word used for grass is dese and is first used in Gen 1:11 when God made vegetation on the third day. The word is used about 50 times and is indicative of new grass, after a fresh rain.  God made the grass to feed the animals. Grass is lush; lack of grass is devastation, desert, barrenness.

I suppose John could have just said, "Have them sit down, there were a lot of them."  But by adding that detail of the grass, not only does it conjure up the image we get from Psalm 23-God's care for his sheep, providing a lush, comfortable place to rest.  But notice, there is a LOT of grass, more than enough grass for the many people to plop on.  He provides in abundance.  The grass is tender and fresh, like after a new rain-therefore its soft and pliable, not hard and scratchy. It is comfortable to rest on.  And, have you ever waited for a few rainy days to mow your lawn?  The grass multiplies exponentially and grows like crazy!  After the life-giving waters, there is growth.

Yeah, I think I get why the grass is an important detail.  I hope you do, too!  May we never look at grass the same!

Please, God, bless!

 "Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, about five thousand in number." Jn 6:10 ISV

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view

No comments:

Post a Comment