Monday, March 23, 2015

Gems or Snakes?

Day 182:  I came across the verse below, and I was reminded of the time I was looking up a recipe. Curious to see what adjustments other people made, I scrolled down to the reviews.  Hmm, a little more of this, less of that....and then.....

For whatever reason someone became offended by a person who followed the recipe, but made more than a few adjustments.  "You stupid (blank) you (blank)!" EGADS!  The comments VERY quickly escalated to being just plain mean and hostile--over a RECIPE!

I am continually struck by the ease in which people post extremely rude and condescending comments, whether its on twitter, facebook, a comment to an article, a recipe...whatever.  I know I have commented before on this-everyone has thoughts, but not every thought should be shared. Because it is so easy to post feedback without a thought, comments fly through the Ethernet never to be retrieved.  Words can be used so flippantly, so carelessly, and so negatively that it can become habitual.


I am reminded of the old fable, where the one who spoke kindly was granted the gift of flowers and jewels when she spoke, and the one who spoke evil instead spit vipers and toads. How many people cloaked behind internet anonymity converse in snakes and frogs, instead of diamonds and pearls?

It is key to note that what we say is a direct reflection of who we are. Paul reminds the Corinthians of this fact--what we put on paper we are also in person.  So, before clicking "post", it is wise to consider, do the words convey the beauty and brilliance of gemstones, or the poison and slime of vile creatures?    

Please, God, bless!

"Let such a person consider this, that what we are in word by letters when absent, such persons we are also in deed when present". 2 Cor 10:11

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment