Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Ripples of Sin

Day 177:  One drop into water will send ripples across the surface for quite a distance.  The same is true when it comes to sin. Actions always have a ripple effect.  For our acts of good this is the effect we want. But for our acts of sin, too often we convince ourselves that our actions affect no one but us.  In fact, the world trumpets this as doctrine--do what you want to as long as you don't hurt anyone.  But the tentacles of sin are far reaching.  Sin always hurts someone, if not many.

I struggled with this doodle and post today.  I was having a conversation with one of my besties about the grey line between love and tolerance. I knew I had to address it tonight as it vexed me so. The fact is, it's a difficult line to walk--how do you show love to someone and not imply support for their sin? Go too far in one direction and your naive, enabling, and inadvertently in agreement with the sin.  The other direction and your belittling, ignorant, and intolerant. Neither is an effective response, and both cause additional pain.

Jesus dined with sinners, yet did not hesitate to rebuke sinners.   He knew the right time for the appropriate response.  So what is OUR right response?  I'm afraid I don't have an answer that will make everyone nod their head and say, "Aha!" I cannot say the best way is one or the other as the circumstances are varied and great.

After pondering this most of the evening, the only answer I can come up with is to pray, pray, and pray some more.  Do as the Lord leads you, say as the Lord tells you, be still as the Lord commands you.      

          Because we do not know the hearts of men--He does.
             
                We do not know if our words will fall on deaf ears or plant a seed--He does.

                          We do not know if our help will hurt or hinder--He does.

In the times we live in where bad masquerades as good, and good is portrayed as bad, this situation will be all the more prevalent.  It is important to seek the Lord, be honest with your spiritual struggle-especially if you have children because they are watching.  They need to know that sin ALWAYS hurts.  And of course, do not jump out ahead of God.  Too often we follow our heart, but that is dangerous.  Jeremiah 17:9 reminds us,

"The heart is more deceitful than anything. It is incurable— who can know it?" 

God is the only one who knows our heart.  We may think we are doing the right thing because our hearts tell us so.  But, more often then not, following our heart leads to disaster. We need to follow God, because only He knows the beginning from the end.  And only He has the power to give you the desires of your heart.

Inspired by "365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!" I decided I should be more conscientious of my creative side. I chose to modify this one year challenge (9/23/14-9/24/15) to create something each day that would also force me to focus my perspective on a Godly world-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment